Cheesy pasta bake
Rich and gooey with a crunchy topping
6 rashers of smoked bacon
400g fusilli pasta
2 tbsp cornflour
200g grated cheddar
1 tsp basil
Pinch of pepper
4 slices white bread
1. Boil the pasta according to the packet.
2. Cut the bacon into small pieces and the mushrooms lengthways and fry with the basil. Put to one side.
3. In the pan add the milk to the cornflour slowly, making sure to whisk as going along to stop it forming lumps until it forms a thick sauce. You may need to use more or less milk depending on your preferred consistency.
4. Add the cheese and mix until melted. Then add the pepper to taste.
5. Add the bacon and mushroom back to the pan, then stir through the pasta and pour into an ovenproof dish.
5. In a food processor, blitz the bread until you have fine breadcrumbs. Then sprinkle evenly over the pasta.
6. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs have crisped nicely.
Experiment with different types or cheese. Or try chopping up some spring onion and adding it to the breadcrumb mix before sprinkling it over.