Fresh and filling
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
One small tin of bamboo slices
A bunch of spring onions
1 litre chicken stock
200 ml coconut milk
For the base
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh ginger
2 birdseye chillies, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground lemongrass
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsbp light brown sugar
1 tsbp cornflour
- Mix all the base ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Pour into a pan over a low heat and stir until it starts to thicken slightly.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Then simmer
- Slice the mushrooms and cut the spring onions into chunks. Add to the soup with the bamboo and shredded chicken.
- Leave to simmer for 5 minutes, then add the coconut milk.
- Leave to simmer for another 3 minutes and then serve.
Juicy king prawns and tofu also work well with this soup, as would shitake or oyster mushrooms.