Cheese on toast with added bite
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 teaspoon mustard
A knob of butter
50g Cheddar, grated
400g can baked beans
2 slices wholemeal bread
Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour to create a paste and then quickly add the milk, whisking to create a smooth sauce.
- Slowly bring to the boil and whisk as it thickens.
- Add the mustard and then half the cheese, season, stir until smooth again and set aside.
- Poach the eggs in simmering water for 3-3 1/2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Put the beans in a pan and gently heat for 2-3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Meanwhile toast the bread on both sides under a hot grill.
- Arrange the toast on two heatproof serving plates. Top with the baked beans and place a poached egg on top of each. Spoon over the cheese sauce and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Place each plate under the grill and cook for 1 minute until golden.
Add some bacon to the bean mixture or serve with some sausages for a more authentic full English feel.