Chocolate chip bread and butter pudding
A great way to use up leftover bread
10 slices of stale white bread
100g of dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
425ml whipping cream
110g caster sugar
1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into triangle quarters. Then arrange half of the bread into overlapping layers covering the bottom of an ovenproof dish.
2. Place the cream, butter and sugar in a bowl above a pan of simmering water and allow the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve slowly over a low heat.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, then pour the custard mixture over, stirring to mix everything well.
4. Pour enough mixture to cover the first layer of bread. Use a fork to make sure each slice is coated with the custard. Then arrange the rest of the bread in the dish, covering it evenly and pour the remaining mixture over again pressing down to make sure everything is covered.
5. Scatter over the chocolate chunks and leave everything to sit for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and bake for 30 – 40 minutes, until the top is crispy.
7. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Add some booze to step 2 – rum works well, or perhaps try some Irish cream.