Bacon, stilton and leek soup
Rich and warming
Makes 6 – 8 portions
1 white onion
3 cloves garlic
3 baking potatoes, peeled
1 large apple, peeled
2 litres chicken stock
6 rashers of smoked bacon
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, fry the chopped onion and garlic until soft but not browned.
2. Cut the leeks, potatoes and apple into sizeable chunks and then sweat in the pan with the lid on for roughly 15 minutes.
3. Add the stock and cook for another 30 – 40 minutes, or until the potato has completely softened.
4. Blend the soup (you may need to wait until it has cooled) until completely smooth and then return to the hob.
5. Add then milk and half the stilton until then soup looks silky.
6. Fry the bacon until crispy, cut into chunks and then garnish the soup with the remaining crumbled stilton.
Replace the milk for cream for richer soup.